Plethora of Details on id Software’s Rage
A year after announcing the game, new details and information have been revealed about id Software’s "Rage" in magazine Game Informer ahead of the 2009 QuakeCon. A small grocery list includes:
- An engineering system to craft devices including sentry turrets and RC car bombs, if you have the blueprints and parts.
- Your health regenerates–a gift connected to your history.
- Races and missions are available from hub towns.
- Vehicular combat is a big part of racing, with power-ups and ammo placed around the courses.
- Weapon upgrades, such as a scope and aiming stabilisers for a crossbow.
- Alternate ammo types, including a crossbow bolt which allows you to briefly control victims before they explode.
- Stealth is an option in combat too.
- A gladiatorial game show named Mutant Bash TV offers big prize money.
- A car parts system allows boosts to areas such as acceleration, traction and suspension.
- Other car upgrades include bombs, a magnet to draw power-ups, tire shredders and EMP shields.
- Multiplayer modes are currently not finalised.
- One weapon is a three-tipped boomerang called the ‘wingstick,’ which will return.
- The PC version will offer higher resolutions, more anti-aliasing and faster texture page-in times, but the three versions are essentially the same.
id announces that the game is being developed for use with controllers, because they feel more people will play the game on consoles. Rage will be released on the PC however and support mouse/keyboard play.
They also stated that ideally the game would ship on 3 DVDs for Xbox 360 to the 1 blu-ray disc for PS3, but are having trouble breaking up the storyline.
Rage is considered an "open-world shooter"/driving game. It’s still unclear when Rage will be available, but it "might" be before 2011.
QuakeCon 2009 takes place in Dallas area Texas on August 13-16th of this year.