Have Yourself a Delightfully Geeky Holiday
If Santa, snowmen, and general consumer Christmas cheer isn’t up to your standards, these delightfully geeky Christmas products may be for you!
First, Valve is rolling out TF2 and L4D2 Christmas cards! Imagine your friend’s delight when they open a card from you chock full of sentimental holiday scenes with your favorite zombies, monsters, and TF2 classes! Each box comes with a set of 10 5×7 cards with envelopes. Choices include TF2 Collection 1, TF2 Collection 2, and L4D2 Collection. Pre-order them now for $15.95 from the Steam store and wait for them to ship out the week of 11/30/09. Orders over $50 ship free! Don’t worry about the price, the unique cards are a gift all on their own!
Maybe you need some Christmas decorations around the house to get rid of your bah-humbugs? These game controller ornaments should do the trick! Each measures 3-4 inches and are made out of laser-cut tinted acrylic. The set of 7 includes a 2D controllers for Wii, Xbox 360, Dreamcast, NES, N64, PS2 and Sega Genesis. Demand is high for the ornaments after they were featured in numerous blogs and news articles. They run $22 and can be purchased at http://www.ponoko.com/showroom/digits
While you’re busy decorating, you’d better be thinking ahead to what you’re going to ask Santa for! I’m sure Santa can fit 3 or 4 video games in one of these sparkly, geeky stockings in either a Pacman or Zombie flavor! You’d better hurry, though, limited stock is available and at $5.00 every geek or gamer is going to want one of these to hang from their mantle. Find it at Etsy from hooligan777.
How about food? There’s nothing like some good food to get you into the holiday spirit! If you find your Christmas treats a little boring – take inspiration from these zombified L4D Gingerbread men! I’m also so nice, I scoped out a yummy looking gingerbread recipe for you to give it a try with.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Mix in the melted margarine, evaporated milk, molasses, vanilla, and lemon extracts. Stir in the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. The dough should be stiff enough to handle without sticking to fingers. If necessary, increase flour by up to 1/2 cup to prevent sticking.
- When the dough is smooth, roll it out to 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface, and cut into cookies. Place cookies on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. The cookies are done when the top springs back when touched. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.