Pre-2009 PS3’s Locked Down Globally
Sony Playstation 3’s worldwide have been locked down, rendering them unable to connect to the Playstation Network, making them lose all online capabilities. Reports state that an error code “8001050F” with a message that it cannot load trophies pops up during the load process. Some users report being locked out of games in an offline setting as well.
An update on the PlayStation Blog, Sony wrote, “We’re aware that many of you are having difficulty connecting to the PlayStation Network this evening. Those of you with “slim” PS3s (the 120/250 GB models) appear to be unaffected.”
“Know that we have narrowed down the issue and have engineers working to restore service even as you read this. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and genuinely appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this.”
Speculation on the internet is that the issue is caused by the Playstation 3’s internal clock.
UPDATE: Sony has advised that PS3 owner’s who have yet to turn on their PS3’s, to not do it. “In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.”
If you just have to see the horror for youself, you may see one of these things when you turn it on:
- The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
- The following message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
- When launching a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game.”
- When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
- Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.